- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- Cookie cutters in shapes of choice or muffin tin
- Bird seed
- Wax paper
- Empty 1 package of unflavored gelatin into a bowl with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Let this sit for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup of boiling water to the gelatin, stirring for a few minutes or until the gelatin is dissolved. This is the binder that keeps seeds together.
- Add 2 cups of bird seed to the gelatin and mix thoroughly.
- Cut a straw into pieces that will be slightly longer than the width of your bird seed cakes.
- Put cookie cutter shapes on the wax paper on top of a plate of cookie sheet (should be able to fit into fridge) and fill with bird seed/gelatin mixture. If you are using a muffin tin grease the cups of the pan and divide the mixture between them. Only fill each up about halfway.
- Put your bird seed cakes in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the seed mixture to set. After setting warm to room temperature before removing the cakes from the cookie cutters or pan.
- After setting warm to room temperature before removing the cakes from the pan and remove straw pieces.
- Take the string/yarn and string it through the hole made by the straw pieces.
- Hang your bird cakes up in a tree or place on a favorite bird perch.